Upon completion of this course, the dental professional should be able to:
- Classify carbohydrates, proteins, fats, and the role they play in the oral cavity.
- Identify the function of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants and symptoms of excesses or deficits.
- Recognize specific nutrient requirements during the human life cycle.
- Understand the Healthy Eating Plates.
- Identify the Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
- Recognize the relationship between nutritional deficiencies and oral disease.
- Assess nutritional aspects of dental caries, its causes, and prevention.
- Guide the patient to clarify and understand his or her own diet-dental relationship.
- Apply basic nutritional concepts to help patients with nutritional problems.