Upon completion of this course, the dental professional should be able to:
- Understand the current scientific literature about the association between oral health and pregnancy outcomes and discuss the interactions between these two conditions with patients.
- Recognize, assess, treat and prevent oral conditions associated with pregnancy.
- Evaluate patients’ risk factors and oral home care practices during pregnancy based upon individualized patient needs.
- Understand the risks and benefits regarding routine, elective, and emergent dental care during pregnancy.
- Discuss with patients the risk factors associated with pregnancy gingivitis and the importance of a healthy mouth in overall maternal and fetal health during pregnancy.
- Use effective behavioral management techniques to improve oral hygiene of patients before, during, and after pregnancy.
- Discuss with interdisciplinary colleagues the importance of and effective methods for seeking dental care during pregnancy.