Regulated Medical Waste Management
COURSE NUMBER: 498
Geza T. Terezhalmy, DDS, MA; Michaell A. Huber, DDS
Participants in this course will be introduced to evidence-based information related to the management of regulated medical waste, also referred to as infectious or biohazardous waste. Emphasis will be on defining regulated medical waste an...
(Use this feature to create assignments for your students and staff.)
Participants in this course will be introduced to evidence-based information related to the management of regulated medical waste, also referred to as infectious or biohazardous waste. Emphasis will be on defining regulated medical waste and issues related to segregating, collecting, storing, treating, and disposing such waste in compliance with applicable regulations.
The information in this 13-module syllabus is intended (1) to meet initial educational/training requirements for Dental Students, Dental Hygiene Students, and Dental Assistant Students as mandated by OSHA and other federal, state, local and professional organizations, (2) to provide a framework for an in-service training program in oral healthcare settings to meet annual educational/training requirements as mandated by OSHA and other federal, state, local and professional organizations, and (3) to serve as a resource for oral healthcare personnel wishing to review evidence-based information on specific topics related to infection prevention, hazardous waste management, and hazard communication compliance.
Dentists, Dental Hygienists, Dental Assistants, Dental Students, Dental Hygiene Students, Dental Assistant Students
Date Course Online:
Jan 1, 2016
Last Revision Date:
Aug 31, 2020
Course Expiration Date:
Aug 30, 2023
AGD Subject Code(s):
Upon completion of this course, the dental professional should be able to:
- Describe the types of wastes produced in oral healthcare settings.
- Identify appropriate personal protective equipment to handle regulated medical waste.
- Segregate regulated medical waste into non-infectious and infectious categories.
- Collect each category of wastes in the proper container.
- Prepare infectious waste containers for proper disposal.
- Clean up safely after an accidental spill of regulated medical waste.
- P&G is providing these resource materials to dental professionals. We do not own this content nor are we responsible for any material herein.
- Participants must always be aware of the hazards of using limited knowledge in integrating new techniques or procedures into their practice. Only sound evidence-based dentistry should be used in patient therapy.
- This course may not satisfy individual state requirements on CDC/Infection Control. Please check with your State Board to verify.
- Iowa Dental Professionals: This course complies with the Iowa Dental Board for recertification in the area of infection control standards, as established by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Note: Registration is required to take test.
Academy of General Dentistry (AGD) Submission For credit transfers to appear in your AGD account in real time, make sure to add your AGD membership number in the field provided on the “Share Your Test Score” page.
CE Broker For all states that use CE Broker for licensure, “proof of completions” are electronically reported the first of every month. If a course was taken in November, the “proof of completion” will be submitted the beginning of December.
ADA CERP Recognized Provider
The Procter & Gamble Company is an ADA CERP Recognized Provider.
ADA CERP is a service of the American Dental Association to assist dental professionals in identifying quality providers of continuing dental education. ADA CERP does not approve or endorse individual courses or instructors, nor does it imply acceptance of credit hours by boards of dentistry.
Concerns or complaints about a dental CE provider may be directed to the provider or to ADA CERP at:
Approved PACE Program Provider
THE PROCTER & GAMBLE COMPANY
Nationally Approved PACE Program Provider for FAGD/MAGD credit.
Approval does not imply acceptance by any regulatory authority or AGD endorsement.
8/1/2021 to 7/31/2027
Provider ID# 211886
AADH Approved Program Provider
Procter & Gamble is designated as an approved Provider by the American Academy of Dental Hygiene, Inc. #AADHPGC (January 1, 2022-December 31, 2023). Approval does not imply acceptance by a state or provincial Board of Dentistry. Licensee should maintain this document in the event of an audit.