References / Additional Resources
[National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research. Oral Health in America: A Report of the Surgeon General.](National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research. Oral Health in America: A Report of the Surgeon General.) Accessed January 12, 2021.
Pitts NB, Fejerskov O, von der Fehr FR. Caries Epidemiology, with special emphasis on diagnostics standards. In: Dental Caries: The Disease and its Clinical Management. Fejerskov O, Kidd EAM. eds. Blackswell Munksgaard Ames, IA. 2003:141-163.
Faller R, Bloch-Zupan A. Brushing, toothpastes, salivation, and remineralization. In: Understanding Dental Caries – From Pathogenesis to Prevention and Therapy. Goldberg M, ed. Springer, Switzerland. 2016:187-198.
Ettinger R, Qian F, Warren JJ, Asmussen C. Incidence of Caries in an Overdenture Population. Abstract #0338. IADR/AADR San Diego, CA. March 7, 2002.
Walsh LJ. Clinical applications of Recaldent products; which ones to use where. RDH 2011, 29(3). Accessed January 12, 2021.
Larsen MJ, Pearce EI. A computer program for correlating dental plaque pH values, cH+, plaque titration, critical pH, resting pH and the solubility of enamel apatite. Arch Oral Biol. 1997 Jul;42(7):475-80.
Backer-Dirks O. Posteruptive changes in dental enamel. J Dent Res. 1966 May-Jun;45(3):503-11. Accessed January 12, 2021.
Hicks J, Garcia-Godoy F, Flaitz C. Biological factors in dental caries: role of saliva and dental plaque in the dynamic process of demineralization and remineralization (part 1). J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2003 Fall;28(1):47-52.
Hicks J, Garcia-Godoy F, Flaitz C. Biological factors in dental caries enamel structure and the caries process in the dynamic process of demineralization and remineralization (part 2). J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2004 Winter;28(2):119-24.
Hicks J, Garcia-Godoy F, Flaitz C. Biological factors in dental caries: role of remineralization and fluoride in the dynamic process of demineralization and remineralization (part 3). J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2004 Spring;28(3):203-14.
Gluzman R, Katz RV, Frey BJ, et al. Prevention of root caries: a literature review of primary and secondary preventive agents. Spec Care Dentist. 2013 May-Jun;33(3):133-40. doi: 10.1111/j.1754-4505.2012.00318.x. Epub 2012 Dec 10.
Svanaes DB, Moystad A, Larheim TA. Approximal caries depth assessment with storage phosphor versus film radiography. Evaluation of the caries-specific Oslo enhancement procedure. Caries Res. 2000 Nov-Dec;34(6):448-53.
Jacobsen JH, Hansen B, Wenzel A, et. al. Relationship between histological and radiographic caries lesion depth measured in images from four digital radiography systems. Caries Res. 2004 Jan-eb;38(1):34-8.
Kositbowornchai S, Sukanya C, Tidarat T, et al. Caries detection under composite restorations by laser fluorescence and digital radiography. Clin Oral Investig. 2013 Dec;17(9):2079-84. doi: 10.1007/s00784-012-0908-9. Epub 2012 Dec 16.
Durmusoglu O, Tağtekin DA, Yanikoğlu F. Clinical evaluation of demineralization and remineralization of intact root surface lesions in the clinic by a quantitative light-induced fluorescence system. Lasers Med Sci. 2012 Mar;27(2):397-402. doi: 10.1007/s10103-011-0899-9. Epub 2011 Mar 22.
Lee ES, Kang SM, Ko HY, et al. Association between the cariogenicity of a dental microcosm biofilm and its red fluorescence detected by Quantitative Light-induced Fluorescence-Digital (QLF-D). J Dent. 2013 Dec;41(12):1264-70. doi: 10.1016/j.jdent.2013.08.021. Epub 2013 Sep 3.
Petersson LG, Kambara M. Remineralization study of artificial root caries lesions after fluoride treatment. An in vitro study using electric caries monitor and transversal micro-radiography. Gerodontology. 2004 Jun;21(2):85-92.
Twetman S, Axelsson S, Dahlén G, et al. Adjunct methods for caries detection: a systematic review of literature. Acta Odontol Scand. 2013 May-Jul;71(3-4):388-97. doi: 10.3109/00016357.2012.690448. Epub 2012 May 28.
American Dental Association (ADA). Policy on Evidence-Based Dentistry. Accessed January 12, 2021.
Walsh T, Worthington HV, Glenny AM, Appelbe P, Marinho VC, Shi X. Fluoride toothpastes of different concentrations for preventing dental caries in children and adolescents. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010 Jan 20;(1):CD007868. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD007868.pub2. Update in: Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2019 Mar 04;3:CD007868.
Benson PE, Parkin N, Dyer F, Millett DT, Furness S, Germain P. Fluorides for the prevention of early tooth decay (demineralised white lesions) during fixed brace treatment. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013 Dec 12;(12):CD003809. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD003809.pub3. Update in: Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2019 Nov 17;2019(11).
Marinho VC, Worthington HV, Walsh T, Chong LY. Fluoride gels for preventing dental caries in children and adolescents. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015 Jun 15;2015(6):CD002280. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD002280.pub2.
Marinho VC, Chong LY, Worthington HV, et al. Fluoride mouthrinses for preventing dental caries in children and adolescents. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016 Jul 29;7:CD002284. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD002284.pub2.
Ismail AI, Tellez M, Pitts NB, et al. Caries management pathways preserve dental tissues and promote oral health. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2013; 41; e12-e40.
- Bawden JW. Changing Patterns of Fluoride Intake: Workshop held at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, April 23-25, 1991. J Dent Res, 71(5):1218, 1992.
- Eldredge JB, Levy SM. The dental hygienist's role in dietary fluoride supplements. J. Dent Hyg, Sept., 1988.
- Ettinger RL, Jakobsen J. Caries: A problem in an overdenture population. Community Dent, 18:42, 1990.
- Heifetz SB, Horowitz HS. Fluorides: The amounts of fluoride in current therapies: safety considerations for children. J Dent Child, July/August, 1984.
- Jensen ME, Kohout F. The effect of a fluoridated dentifrice on root and coronal caries in an older adult population. J Am Dent Assoc, 117:829, 1988.
- Levy SM. Expansion of the proper use of systemic fluoride supplements. J Am Dent Assoc, 112:30, 1986.
- McCormack KR, McDermott RJ. The caries status of youth: Implications for dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg, Sept., 1988.
- National Institute of Dental Research: National Caries Program. The Prevalence of Dental Caries in United States Children. NIH Publ. No. 82-2245. U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services, December, 1981.
- Oral Health in America: A Report of the Surgeon General. Rockville, MD: US Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, 2000.
- Szpunar SM, Burt BA. Trends in the prevalence of dental fluorosis in the United States: A review. J Pub Hlth, 47(2):71, 1987.
- Stookey G. Understanding the caries process: First of a series. Dental Hygienist News, 1(2):2, 1988.
- Stookey G. Understanding the caries process: Second in a series. Dental Hygienist News, 1(2):8, 1988.
- Tobin EA. Dental fluorosis in children in the 1980's: A review of the literature. J Dent Hyg, September, 1988.
- Woolfolk MW, Faja BW, Bagramian RA. Relation of sources of systemic fluoride to prevalence of dental fluorosis. J Pub Hlth, 49(2):78, 1989.