Upon completion of this course, the dental professional should be able to:
- Define innate and adaptive or acquired immunity.
- Describe principal components of innate and acquired immunity.
- Compare and contrast the five classes of immunoglobulins.
- Name the major types of leukocytes.
- Summarize the four types of hypersensitivity reactions to foreign substances.
- Discuss the origin, maturation, and function of T-cells and B-cells.
- Understand the role of bacterial complexes in periodontal disease.
- Discuss the role of inflammation in periodontal tissue destruction.