Upon completion of this course, the dental professional should be able to:
- Name and describe the gingiva and supporting structures comprising the periodontium.
- Describe and identify basic gingival anatomy and histology.
- Identify characteristics of gingival health (gingival color, size, contour, texture, consistency and sulcus depth).
- Describe the characteristics of unhealthy gingiva.
- Understand the role of local irritants in the gingival disease process.
- Explain the recommendations for toothbrushing and flossing.