Upon the completion of this course, the dental professional should be able to:
- Discuss the need for epidemiological studies.
- Apply the results of oral epidemiology studies to clinical practice.
- Be familiar with the prevalence, incidence, and trends of dental caries in the United States.
- Describe the value of the DMF index in measuring oral disease.
- Use the DMF index to measure the prevalence of dental caries.
- Understand the results of the NHANES surveys that are related to dental caries.
- Identify the factors that may or may not affect the DMF scores in adults.
- Calculate a DMFT, DMFS, dmft or dmfs index score from a patient tooth charting.