Upon completion of this course, the dental professional should be able to:
- Discuss tooth structure.
- Describe how the mineral composition and structure of enamel relates to caries.
- Be familiar with the concept of enamel maturation.
- Explain what saliva is and how it is produced.
- Identify the major salivary glands.
- Explain the nerve control of saliva secretion.
- List the physical, chemical, and antibacterial properties of saliva.
- Describe the host's immune response in the dental caries process.