Upon completion of this course, the dental professional should be able to:
- Describe why tooth wear poses a serious public health issue.
- Discuss the difference between physical and chemical wear on hard dental tissues.
- Identify the factors that cause each of the three types of physical tooth surface loss (tooth wear).
- Discuss the multiple factors that cause chemical tooth surface loss (dental erosion).
- Identify the chemical, biological and behavioral factors that influence dental erosion.
- Be familiar with how to diagnose dental erosion.
- Advise the patient on the diet, behavioral, and medical factors that can reduce dental erosion.