Adequate preparation for emergencies reduces the possibility of an emergency occurring and further complications if it does occur. Preparation steps include:
- Taking and reviewing a comprehensive medical and dental history.
- Providing minimum basic life support (BLS) training for providers and staff.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) or Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) training, especially for those administering sedation and general anesthesia.
- Initiation and coordination of an office emergency team.
- Organizing an emergency drug kit and equipment.
- Retraining on a regular basis.