Upon completion of this course, the dental professional should be able to:
- Describe the reasons/purposes for a mission trip.
- Identify steps in preparing for an oral healthcare mission.
- Identify and discuss cultural differences.
- Identify the types and numbers of tasks that can be accomplished and those that cannot.
- Match personal and local resources with perceived needs.
- List the routine immunizations necessary, special considerations and steps to prepare for emergencies.
- Design infection prevention strategies used in less than optimal conditions that ensure both patient and practitioner safety and health.
- Develop checklists that support the design, application and review of clinical procedures.
- Create a methodology to debrief returning participants and objectively evaluate the entire mission trip.