At the completion of this course, the dental professional should be able to:
- List three possible etiologies for Burning Mouth Syndrome (BMS).
- Understand the mechanisms involved in the nerve supply to the oral tissues and the association with BMS.
- Determine the possibility of a diagnosis of BMS by ruling out other disease processes that may mimic BMS.
- List five products, techniques or medications that may assist the patient in controlling the symptoms of BMS.
- Identify five key oral symptoms of BMS.
- Provide a one-page patient education handout to a patient who is diagnosed with BMS or develop your own for distribution.