Upon completion of this course, the dental professional should be able to:
- Discuss the mechanism of nociception.
- Discuss the pharmacology of local anesthetic agents.
- Select the most effective and least toxic local anesthetic agent for perioperative pain management.
- Discuss technical issues, sterilization, and storage of local anesthetic agents.
- Discuss factors affecting needle-insertion pain and take preemptive action.
- Discuss and implement reversal of soft-tissue anesthesia.
- Discuss precautions related to the administration of local anesthetic agents.