Upon completion of this course, the dental professional should be able to:
- Understand the potential and actual connections between oral and general health.
- Appreciate the differences between the plausibility of evidence, the value of epidemiological data and of intervention studies.
- Assess the relevance of the different levels of evidence for those connections.
- Comprehend the associations between periodontal disease and diabetes, cardiovascular conditions, adverse pregnancy outcomes and other general health conditions.
- Apply their learning to everyday clinical healthcare for the oral and general health benefits of patients.