Upon completion of this course, the dental professional should be able to:
- Define PPE and identify those relevant to the safety of oral healthcare personnel.
- Discuss the roles of federal agencies with advisory or regulatory/enforcement jurisdiction related to the establishment of a safe and healthy working place.
- Discuss the regulatory role of the FDA as it relates to medical devices and the rationale for the classification of medical devices, e.g., PPE.
- Discuss the indication for and selection of PPE with reference to three key elements: anticipated exposure, barrier effectiveness, and fit.
- Demonstrate the steps to follow for putting on and safely removing PPE.