Upon completion of this course, the dental professional should be able to:
- Differentiate between a social user, substance abuser and addict.
- Describe four stages of substance abuse.
- Explain the differences between physical and psychological dependence.
- Identify the various sources of nicotine.
- Identify the addiction process for alcohol, prescription medication and illegal drugs.
- Recognize various oral conditions that may be present with chronic nicotine, alcohol, prescription medication and/or illegal drug use.
- Identify commonly abused prescription and illegal drugs.
- Identify various clinician/patient communication strategies for various addictions.
- Use resources to support patients who are interested in cessation.