Upon completion of this course, the dental professional should be able to:
- Address questions generated by patients related to media coverage of the omission of flossing recommendations from the 2015-2020 U.S. Dietary Guidelines and other statements in the press about the utility of flossing.
- Apply the current scientific literature about the benefits, if any, of flossing and other interdental cleaning aids in addition to tooth brushing in their practice for patient benefit.
- Discuss with patients the optimal strategies and rationale for oral hygiene, including interdental cleaning.
- Develop home care recommendations that focus on evidence-based strategies for oral health and emphasize individualized patient care recommendations based upon patient needs.
- Discuss the importance of preventive strategies for oral diseases including maintaining good oral hygiene in order to promote oral and overall well-being with a wide range of interdisciplinary colleagues and patients.