Upon completion of this course, the dental professional should be able to:
- Understand the current evidence-based consensus recommendations about prescribing patterns for acute and post-operative dental pain and the comparative effectiveness of opioid and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug analgesics for dental pain.
- Review current dental and medical opioid prescribing patterns in the United States and throughout the world.
- Evaluate patients’ risk factors and treatment needs based upon individualized patient needs and overall substance abuse risk.
- Recognize signs of substance abuse disorder in patients.
- Enable better identification of individuals with substance abuse disorders and be aware of referral services for treatment.
- Be an active participant in an interdisciplinary team of health care providers in educating patients and colleagues about changes to prescribing patterns that may decrease exposure and substance abuse.