Strategies for Searching the Literature Using PubMed
COURSE NUMBER: 340
Jane L. Forrest, EdD, BSDH; Syrene A. Miller, BA, MSW
This continuing education course is a follow up to the course, Evidence-Based Decision Making: Introduction and Formulating Good Clinical Questions.1 The primar...
(Use this feature to create assignments for your students and staff.)
This continuing education course is a follow up to the course, Evidence-Based Decision Making: Introduction and Formulating Good Clinical Questions.1 The primary learning objectives for this course are to increase your skills in conducting an efficient computerized search using PubMed to answer a specific clinical question, the second step of the Evidence-based process.
Finding relevant evidence to answer clinical questions requires conducting a focused search of the peer-reviewed professional literature. To assist professionals in keeping up with the literature and in making it possible to quickly find needed information without leaving your location, online access to MEDLINE, the premier scientific database provided by the National Library of Medicine, is available at no cost through PubMed. The purpose of this course is to outline the steps involved in conducting a PubMed search using both the traditional comprehensive PubMed search mechanism, including the MeSH database, and the PubMed Clinical Queries feature to answer clinical questions. Case scenarios will demonstrate the application of the skills involved. To gain hands-on experience learning the skills, open a second window in your browser and complete each step as you read about it in the course.
Dentists, Dental Hygienists, Dental Assistants, Dental Students, Dental Hygiene Students, Dental Assistant Students
Date Course Online:
Apr 13, 2009
Last Revision Date:
Jul 2, 2021
Course Expiration Date:
Jul 1, 2024
AGD Subject Code(s):
Upon completion of this course, the dental professional should be able to:
- Identify key search terms using the components of a PICO question (Patient/Population Problem, Intervention, Comparison and Outcome).
- Navigate PubMed’s home page.
- Apply PubMed’s Filters and Advance Search Features in conducting an efficient search.
- Search the PubMed MeSH Database to find the correct indexing terms.
- Describe how to use Boolean operators (AND, OR and NOT) to combine search terms.
- Discuss how using the PubMed ‘Filters’ feature assists in finding the highest levels of evidence.
- Explain how to combine previous search queries using the Advanced Search History feature.
- Effectively use PubMed to find evidence to answer a question using the PubMed features including: MeSH, Boolean Operators, Filters, and the Advance Search History.
- Conduct a PubMed search using the Clinical Queries feature.
- Compare the traditional comprehensive PubMed search with using the PubMed Clinical Queries feature.
- P&G is providing these resource materials to dental professionals. We do not own this content nor are we responsible for any material herein.
- Participants must always be aware of the hazards of using limited knowledge in integrating new techniques or procedures into their practice. Only sound evidence-based dentistry should be used in patient therapy.
Note: Registration is required to take test.
Academy of General Dentistry (AGD) Submission For credit transfers to appear in your AGD account in real time, make sure to add your AGD membership number in the field provided on the “Share Your Test Score” page.
CE Broker For all states that use CE Broker for licensure, “proof of completions” are electronically reported the first of every month. If a course was taken in November, the “proof of completion” will be submitted the beginning of December.
ADA CERP Recognized Provider
The Procter & Gamble Company is an ADA CERP Recognized Provider.
ADA CERP is a service of the American Dental Association to assist dental professionals in identifying quality providers of continuing dental education. ADA CERP does not approve or endorse individual courses or instructors, nor does it imply acceptance of credit hours by boards of dentistry.
Concerns or complaints about a dental CE provider may be directed to the provider or to ADA CERP at:
Approved PACE Program Provider
THE PROCTER & GAMBLE COMPANY
Nationally Approved PACE Program Provider for FAGD/MAGD credit.
Approval does not imply acceptance by any regulatory authority or AGD endorsement.
8/1/2021 to 7/31/2027
Provider ID# 211886
AADH Approved Program Provider
Procter & Gamble is designated as an approved Provider by the American Academy of Dental Hygiene, Inc. #AADHPGC (January 1, 2022-December 31, 2023). Approval does not imply acceptance by a state or provincial Board of Dentistry. Licensee should maintain this document in the event of an audit.