Sleep Apnea Management for the Dentist
COURSE NUMBER: 578
Istvan A. Hargitai, DDS, MS
The course will review the pathophysiology of obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). The screening of patients in whom OSA is suspected will be reviewed. Finally, the management of OSA will be discussed with the focus on use of mandibular advanceme...
(Use this feature to create assignments for your students and staff.)
The course will review the pathophysiology of obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). The screening of patients in whom OSA is suspected will be reviewed. Finally, the management of OSA will be discussed with the focus on use of mandibular advancement devices in its treatment.
Dentists, Dental Hygienists, Dental Assistants, Dental Students, Dental Hygiene Students, Dental Assisting Students
Date Course Online:
Aug 16, 2019
Last Revision Date:
Feb 13, 2023
Course Expiration Date:
Feb 12, 2026
AGD Subject Code(s):
Stable internet connection and the latest version of browser and device software are recommended.
Upon completion of this course, the dental professional should be able to:
- Understand the epidemiology and pathophysiology of obstructive sleep apnea (OSA).
- Utilize the STOP BANG mnemonic for assessing OSA risk.
- Stratify patient care and OSA severity based on the apnea hypopnea index (AHI).
- Recall the gold standard in the diagnosis and management of OSA.
- Walk through the process of prescribing and delivering a mandibular advancement device for OSA.
- P&G is providing these resource materials to dental professionals. We do not own this content nor are we responsible for any material herein.
- Participants must always be aware of the hazards of using limited knowledge in integrating new techniques or procedures into their practice. Only sound evidence-based dentistry should be used in patient therapy.
Note: Registration is required to take test.
Academy of General Dentistry (AGD) Submission For credit transfers to appear in your AGD account in real time, make sure to add your AGD membership number in the field provided on the “Share Your Test Score” page.
CE Broker For all states that use CE Broker for licensure, “proof of completions” are electronically reported the first of every month. If a course was taken in November, the “proof of completion” will be submitted the beginning of December.
Approved PACE Program Provider
THE PROCTER & GAMBLE COMPANY
Nationally Approved PACE Program Provider for FAGD/MAGD credit.
Approval does not imply acceptance by any regulatory authority or AGD endorsement.
8/1/2021 to 7/31/2027
Provider ID# 211886
AADH Approved Program Provider
Procter & Gamble is designated as an approved Provider by the American Academy of Dental Hygiene, Inc. #AADHPGC (January 1, 2022-December 31, 2023). Approval does not imply acceptance by a state or provincial Board of Dentistry. Licensee should maintain this document in the event of an audit.