All four laser types discussed here have photobiomodulation properties in addition to their surgical capabilities. The terms Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) or biostimulation are often used to describe this phenomenon.
In dentistry biostimulation can be used for many things including:
- Treatment of recurrent aphthous stomatitis and traumatic ulcers.
- Reduction of oral edema.
- Post-operative analgesia following periodontic, oral surgery, and endodontic procedures.
- Treatment of recurrent intraoral and labial herpes.
- Management of inflammatory conditions such as erosive lichen planus.
- Reduce pain of orthodontics.
- Management of temporomandibular disorder.