When removing amalgam, consider the following in your discussion:
- The dental facility should discuss the steps involved in the removal of the amalgam restorative material with the patient.
- Determine if any of the amalgams are cracked, leaking or if there is decay under the “filling” material (Figures 2‑4).
- If removal is suggested because of a defective restoration, the following questions/actions are suggested as the most appropriate protocol to consider. Other sites mentioned in this course contain more detail and suggestions to limit mercury exposure and specific questions or answers for both the patient and the provider.
- Is high speed evacuation with water used?
- Will a rubber dam be used to limit swallowing of the material?