- Continuing Education
References / Additional Resources
Motivational Interviewing: A Patient-Centered Approach to Elicit Positive Behavior Change
Course Number: 381
References / Additional Resources
Miller WR, Rollnick S. Motivational interviewing: Helping people change 3rd ed. New York, NY. Guillford Press. 2013.
Resnicow K, DiIorio C, Soet JE, et al. Motivational interviewing in health promotion: it sounds like something is changing. Health Psychol. 2002 Sep;21(5):444-51.
Shinitzky HE, Kub J. The art of motivating behavior change: the use of motivational interviewing to promote health. Public Health Nurs. 2001 May-Jun;18(3):178-85.
Freeman R. The psychology of dental patient care. 10. Strategies for motivating the non-compliant patient. Br Dent J. 1999 Sep 25;187(6):307-12.
Prounis C. Doctor-Patient Communication. Pharmaceutical Executive. Advanstar Communications, Inc. Sep 1 2005. Accessed May 1, 2018.
DiMatteo MR, Giordani PJ, Lepper HS, et al. Patient adherence and medical treatment outcomes: a meta-analysis. Med Care. 2002 Sep;40(9):794-811. doi: 10.1097/01.MLR.0000024612.61915.2D.
Ryan RM, Deci EL. Self-determination theory and the facilitation of intrinsic motivation, social development, and well-being. Am Psychol. 2000 Jan;55(1):68-78.
Prochaska J, DiClemente C. Transtheoretical therapy: Toward a more integrative model of change. Psychotherapy: Theory, Research & Practice, Vol 19(3), 1982, 276-288. Accessed May 1, 2018.
Ajzen I, Fishbein M. Understanding Attitudes and Predicting Social Behavior. Englewood Cliffs, N.J. Prentice Hall. 1980.
Bray KK, Catley D, Voelker MA, et al. Motivational interviewing in dental hygiene education: curriculum modification and evaluation. J Dent Educ. 2013 Dec;77(12):1662-9.
Ismail AI, Ondersma S, Jedele JM, et al. Evaluation of a brief tailored motivational intervention to prevent early childhood caries. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2011 Oct;39(5):433-48. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0528.2011.00613.x. Epub 2011 Mar 29.
Weinstein P, Harrison R, Benton T. Motivating mothers to prevent caries: confirming the beneficial effect of counseling. J Am Dent Assoc. 2006 Jun;137(6):789-93.
Almomani F, Williams K, Catley D, et al. Effects of an oral health promotion program in people with mental illness. J Dent Res. 2009 Jul;88(7):648-52. doi: 10.1177/0022034509338156. Epub 2009 Jul 15.
Jönsson B, Ohrn K, Oscarson N, et al. The effectiveness of an individually tailored oral health educational programme on oral hygiene behaviour in patients with periodontal disease: a blinded randomized-controlled clinical trial (one-year follow-up). J Clin Periodontol. 2009 Dec;36(12):1025-34. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-051X.2009.01453.x.
Weinstein P, Milgrom P, Ratener P, et al. Patient dental values and their relationship to oral health status, dentist perceptions and quality of care. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 1979 Jun;7(3):121-7.
Brand VS, Bray KK, MacNeill S, et al. Impact of single-session motivational interviewing on clinical outcomes following periodontal maintenance therapy. Int J Dent Hyg. 2013 May;11(2):134-41. doi: 10.1111/idh.12012. Epub 2012 Dec 24.
Stenman J, Lundgren J, Wennström JL, et al. A single session of motivational interviewing as an additive means to improve adherence in periodontal infection control: a randomized controlled trial. J Clin Periodontol. 2012 Oct;39(10):947-54. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-051X.2012.01926.x. Epub 2012 Jul 30.
Lundahl BW, Kunz C, Brownell C, et al. A meta-analysis of motivational interviewing: twenty-five years of empirical studies. Research on Social Work Practice 2010; 20(2): 137-160.
Yevlahova D, Satur J. Models for individual oral health promotion and their effectiveness: a systematic review. Aust Dent J. 2009 Sep;54(3):190-7. doi: 10.1111/j.1834-7819.2009.01118.x.
Miller WR. Motivational interviewing with problem drinkers. Behavioural Psychotherapy, 11, pp 147-172. 1983. Accessed May 1, 2018.
Godard A, Dufour T, Jeanne S. Application of self-regulation theory and motivational interview for improving oral hygiene: a randomized controlled trial. J Clin Periodontol. 2011 Dec;38(12):1099-105. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-051X.2011.01782.x. Epub 2011 Sep 6.
Harrison R, Benton T, Everson-Stewart S, et al. Effect of motivational interviewing on rates of early childhood caries: a randomized trial. Pediatr Dent. 2007 Jan-Feb;29(1):16-22.
- Bandura A. Self-efficacy: The Exercise of Control, in WH Freeman. 1997: New York.
- Bray KK, Catley D, Voelker M, Liston R, Williams KB. Teaching motivational interviewing to dental hygiene students: curriculum modification and evaluation. J Dent Educ. 2013:77(12): 1663-70.
- Burke LE, Fair J. Promoting prevention: skill sets and attributes of health care providers who deliver behavioral interventions. J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2003 Sep-Oct;18(4):256-66.
- Epstein LH, Cluss PA. A behavioral medicine perspective on adherence to long-term medical regimens. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1982 Dec;50(6):950-71.
- DiMatteo MR. Enhancing patient adherence to medical recommendations. JAMA. 1994; 271: 79-83.
- Fishbein M (Ed). Readings in Attitude Theory and Measurement. New York: Wiley, 1967.
- Freeman R. The psychology of dental patient care. 10. Strategies for motivating the non-compliant patient. Br Dent J. 1999 Sep 25;187(6):307-12.
- Kay EJ, Locker D. Is dental health education effective? A systematic review of current evidence. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 1996 Aug;24(4):231-5.
- Koerber A, Crawford J, O'Connell K. The effects of teaching dental students brief motivational interviewing for smoking-cessation counseling: a pilot study. J Dent Educ. 2003 Apr;67(4):439-47.
- Miller W, Rollnick S. Motivational Interviewing. 2nd Edition. The Guilford Press, New York. 2002.
- Millstein SG. Utility of the theories of reasoned action and planned behavior for predicting physician behavior: a prospective analysis. Health Psychol. 1996 Sep;15(5):398-402.
- Montano DE, Kasprzyk D. “The Theory of Reasoned Action and the Theory of Planned Behavior.” In: Health Behavior and Health Education: Theory, Research and Practice – 3rd Ed. San Francisco, Jossey Bass. 2002.
- Motivational Interviewing. Training for New Trainers (TNT). Resources for New Trainers. Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers, 2008.
- Prochaska JO, Velicer WF, Rossi JS, Goldstein MG, et al. Stages of change and decisional balance for 12 problem behaviors. Health Psychol. 1994 Jan;13(1):39-46.
- Resnicow K, DiIorio C, Soet JE, Ernst D, et al. Motivational interviewing in health promotion: it sounds like something is changing. Health Psychol. 2002 Sep;21(5):444-51.
- Rollnick S, Miller W. What is motivational interviewing. Behav Cogn Psychother 1995;23: 325-34.
- Rollnick S, Nick H, Bell A. Negotiating behavior change in medical settings. J Mental Health 1992;1: 25-37.
- Rollnick S, Morgan M. Motivational interviewing: increasing readiness for change. 1995;New York: Guilford Press.
- Rollnick S, Kinnersley P, Stott N. Methods of helping patients with behaviour change. BMJ. 1993 Jul 17;307(6897):188-90.
- Rubak S, Sandbaek A, Lauritzen T, Christensen B. Motivational interviewing: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Br J Gen Pract. 2005 Apr;55(513):305-12.
- Shinitzky HE, Kub J. The art of motivating behavior change: the use of motivational interviewing to promote health. Public Health Nurs. 2001 May-Jun;18(3):178-85.
- Weinstein P, Harrison R, Benton T. Motivating parents to prevent caries in their young children: one-year findings. J Am Dent Assoc. 2004 Jun;135(6):731-8.
- Williams GC, McGregor HA, Zeldman A, Freedman ZR, Deci EL. Testing a self-determination theory process model for promoting glycemic control through diabetes self-management. Health Psychol. 2004 Jan;23(1):58-66.
- Wright JA, Velicer WF, Prochaska JO. Testing the predictive power of the transtheoretical model of behavior change applied to dietary fat intake. Health Educ Res. 2009 Apr;24(2):224-36.