In order to comply properly with any state legal mandate for all health professionals to report suspected cases of IPV and EM, dentists must be cognizant of their responsibilities. These responsibilities include:
- Observing and examining any suspicious evidence that can be ascertained in the office.
- Recording, per legal and court rules, any evidence that may be helpful in the case, including physical evidence and any comments from questioning or interviewing.
- Treating any dental or orofacial injuries within the treatment expertise of the dentist, referring more extensive treatment needs to a hospital or dental/medical specialist.
- Establishing/maintaining a professional therapeutic relationship with the patient.
- Becoming familiar with the perioral signs of IPV and EM and reporting suspected cases to the proper authorities consistent with state law.