References / Additional References
American Dental Association. Oral Health. Methamphetamine. May 2021. Accessed December 15, 2022.
Beistle KS. Recognizing and treating “meth mouth.” J Pract Hyg 2006; March: 27-28.
Brunsman B. Education program targets meth. Associated Press. The Cincinnati Enquirer. August 6, 2010.
Bureau of Substance Abuse Services. Massachusetts Department of Public Health. SBIRT: A Step-by-Step Guide. June 2012. Accessed December 15, 2022.
CBS News. Teen died after drinking liquid methamphetamine. Jan 15, 2014. Accessed Dec 15, 2022.
Courtney KE, Ray LA. Methamphetamine: An update on epidemiology, pharmacology, clinical phenomenology, and treatment literature. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2014 Oct 1;143:11-21. doi: 10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2014.08.003. Epub 2014 Aug 17.
Discovery Place. Stages of addiction. 2015.
Freeman PR, Talbert J, Troske, S. Impact of state laws regulating pseudoephedrine on methamphetamine trafficking and abuse. A white paper of the National Association of State Controlled Substance Authorities. 2016 Apr. Accessed Dec 15, 2022.
Gonzales R, Ang A, Marinelli-Casey P, et al. Health-related quality of life trajectories of methamphetamine-dependent individuals as a function of treatment completion and continued care over a 1-year period. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2009 Dec;37(4):353-61. doi: 10.1016/j.jsat.2009.04.001. Epub 2009 Jun 23.
Hazelden Publishing. The Matrix Model. Accessed Dec 15, 2022.
Health Research Funding. 33 Impressive Meth Addiction Recovery Statistics. Accessed December 15, 2022.
Johnson M. What is methamphetamine and methamphetamine lab dangers? Northeast Community Challenge Community Education. May 2006.
Juozapavicius J. Meth method harder to catch. Associated Press. The Cincinnati Enquirer. August 25, 2012.
Kelsch N. Meth mouth and dental considerations, Journal of the California Dental Hygienists' Association. 2006. Jan; 22(2):18-26.
Kelsch N. Methamphetamine abuse-oral implications and care. RDH. 2010 Feb; 30(2):72-78. Accessed Dec 15, 2022.
Kelsch N. Why meth? Not in my town. RDH. 2009 Jan: 62-68, 81. Accessed November 5, 2019.
Measure urges tracking of cold-medicine sales. Associated Press. The Cincinnati Enquirer. March 17, 2012.
National Drug Intelligence Center. Oklahoma drug threat assessment. 2002 Oct. Accessed Dec 15, 2022.
National Drug Intelligence Center. Yaba fast facts: questions and answers. Accessed Dec 15, 2022.
National Institute on Drug Abuse. Principles of Drug Addiction Treatment: A Research-Based Guide (3rd Edition). January 2018. Accessed December 15, 2022.
New York State Department of Health. Overdose Deaths Involving Methamphetamine With and Without Fentanyl in New York State, Outside of New York City, 2016-2020. January 2022. Accessed December 15, 2022.
Office of National Drug Control Policy. Methamphetamine trends in the United States. 2010. Accessed Dec 15, 2022.
PBS.org. Meth and crime: a sheriff's insight. May 23, 2008. Accessed Dec 15, 2022.
Peterson D. Drug use and oral clues. Dec 15, 2022.
Roll JM, Huber A, Sodano R, et al. A comparison of five reinforcement schedules for use in contingency management-based treatment of methamphetamine abuse. Psychological Record, Win 2006:56, 67-81. Accessed Dec 15, 2022.
Rose M. NetCE. Methamphetamine Use Disorder. July 1, 2020. Accessed Dec 15, 2022.
Roussotte F, Soderberg L, Sowell E. Structural, metabolic and functional brain abnormalities as a result of prenatal exposure to drugs of abuse: evidence from neuroimaging. Neuropsychol Rev. 2010 Dec;20(4):376-97. doi: 10.1007/s11065-010-9150-x. Epub 2010 Oct 28. Accessed November 5, 2019.
Salter J. Meth victims burning money. Associated Press. January 25, 2012.
Salter J. Meth still flourishes despite tracking laws. Associated Press. January 10, 2011.
Stevenson M. Cartel ramps up meth production. Associated Press. August 28, 2011.
Stop Meth Addiction. Tweaker safety tips. Accessed Dec 15, 2022.
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Service Administration. Results from the 2008 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: National Findings. NSDUH Series H-36, HHS Publication No. (SMA) 09-4434. Rockville MD. 2009. Accessed Dec 15, 2022.
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Results from the 2010 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: Summary of National Findings, NSDUH Series H-41, HHS Publication No. (SMA) 11-4658. Rockville, MD. 2011. Dec 15, 2022.
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Results from the 2012 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: Summary of National Findings, NSDUH Series H-47, HHS Publication No. (SMA) 13-4805. Rockville, MD. 2013. Dec 15, 2022.
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Results from the 2014 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: Summary of National Findings, NSDUH Series H-50, HHS Publication No. (SMA) 15-4927. Rockville, MD. 2015. Dec 15, 2022.
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Treatment Improvement Protocol Series. Overview, Essential Concepts, and Definitions in Detoxification. 2006. Accessed December 15, 2022
The White House. Bill Signed – S. 854 H.R.3665, the “Methamphetamine Response Act of 2021,” Accessed December 15, 2022
U.S Department of Justice, Office of Community Oriented Policing, 2021 Anti-Meth Program Awards.
Vearrier D, Greenberg MI, Miller SN, et al. Methamphetamine: history, pathophysiology, adverse health effects, current trends, and hazards associated with the clandestine manufacture of methamphetamine. Dis Mon. 2012 Feb;58(2):38-89. doi: 10.1016/j.disamonth.2011.09.004.
Walker R, Rosvall T, Field CA, et al. Disseminating contingency management to increase attendance in two community substance abuse treatment centers: lessons learned. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2010 Oct;39(3):202-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jsat.2010.05.010. Epub 2010 Jul 3.
Wheeler M. Researchers ID brain abnormalities in children exposed to methamphetamine in utero. UCLA Newsroom. March 16, 2010.
Williams NJ. The impact of methamphetamine abuse on oral health. University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Dentistry. Continuing Education 2006.
- Alcohol Rehab Help - https://alcoholrehabhelp.org/resources/elderly-alcoholism/
- American Council for Drug Education – Phoenix House - www.phoenixhouse.org
- A Student’s Guide to Recognizing Disorders, Seeking Help and Promoting Wellness - www.affordablecollegesonline.org/college-resource-center/college-student-mental-health
- Balancing Student Stress - www.affordablecollegesonline.org/balancing-student-stress
- Bipolar Disorder -www.healthline.com
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - www.cdc.gov
- Community Anti-Drug Coalitions of America - www.cadca.org
- Council for Prevention - www.councilforprevention.org
- Depression Guidebook for Students - www.affordablecollegesonline.org/college-resource-center/college-student-depression
- KCI: The Anti-Meth Site - https://www.kci.org/
- Narconon International - www.narconon.org
- National Association of Chain Drug Stores - https://www.nacds.org/pse/
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) - www.nida.nih.gov or www.drugabuse.gov
- NIDA for Teens - www.teens.drugabuse.gov
- Office of Community Oriented Policing Services - www.cops.usdoj.gov
- Office of National Drug Control Policy - www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov
- Ohio Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services - https://mha.ohio.gov/
- The Partnership for a Drug-Free America - www.drugfree.org
- Street Drugs - www.streetdrugs.org
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) - www.samhsa.gov
- Substance Abuse in College - www.affordablecollegesonline.org/college-resource-center/substance-abuse-in-college
- U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration - www.dea.gov
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - https://www.epa.gov/emergency-response/voluntary-guidelines-methamphetamine-laboratory-cleanup/
- Within Health - https://withinhealth.com/learn/elderly